Thursday 30 July 2009

Where is the year going?

My apologies, my apologies, and we were going so well! I would have kept this blogging lark up had my computer not broken, yes we've been without a home computer since March (ish?) time and have since moved house, so even when it gets fixed, we'll have to sort outt he grand interweb for my dear blogging adventures to continue!

Never fear though, life has not stood still, I am still making progress with my goals and new goals have emerged and evolved as the year has gone on.

As I said, we moved house. Which meant I have now risen to the dizzy heights of domestic goddessness. We're now living on our own so it's all up to me to keep everything shiny and pretty, and I have to say that I am doing quite well (with Jon's help, obviously!).

My biggest success of the year, however, is my reading! I have probably read more books this year than I have in the last five put together! So yay for me :0)

Books I have read:
Cecilia Ahern: A place called here
Cecilia Ahern: If you could see me now
Cecilia Ahern: Thanks for the memories
(Notice a pattern? I still can't bring myself to read PS I Love You. I cried all the way through the movie and just reading the first page in Borders made me tearful. It's sooooooo sad!)

Malcolm Gladwell: Outliers: the Story of Success. I've read one of his others, The Tipping Point, and this was just as fantastic. It's non-fiction, kind of sociology-based but full of interesting real-life stories to back up his theories. Great if you want to find out more about what makes some people successful and others not so. If you like this kind of sociology-based book would also reccommend The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford. I read that whilst on honeymoon a couple of years ago, and although I'm not one for maths and finance, it was a really interesting read, again backed up by real-life stories, certainly gives you a new perspective on the world! Next on my list in the same vein is Malcolm Gladwell's Blink.

Jodi Picoult: My Sister's Keeper (I was so not expecting the twist at the end... if you've read it you'll be like "I Know!". When I got to that part I was sitting on the train and I let out a little squeal of shock. Luckily I was not alone and my friend was sitting there waiting for me to get to "that part!").

I'm currently reading one of Jodi Picoult's other books, Nineteen Minutes. It's about a high-school shooting from the perspective of the killer's mum. Not as much of a page-turner as My Sister's Keeper. I have to say I think I read her best one first (or so I've been told!).

One devastating development in the world of books though.... Borders on Oxford Street is closing down! I love that place! There's still one up on Charing Cross Road but that's just that bit further away from where I normally loiter about! Very sad news indeed!

So anyway, sorry there's no pictures today. I normally try and include some just to break up my ramblings but I'm actually at the library and didn't come prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment