Saturday 7 August 2010

London, the place to be


A while ago, tired of commuting and the high cost of living, we were thinking of moving to Colchester, where I work. However, we recently visited the Museum of London and it made me realise that I truly love this city and would never want to leave. As long as it's humanly possible, I will be a London girl.

The Museum of London was so interesting, but what I loved the most was around the walls there were quotes from famous people, poems and literature about the spirit of London, and how over history, it has always been this addictive place where everyone wants to be. I loved that even two or three hundred years ago, there were still people who swarmed to this great city and made it home.


I was also thrilled to read that even in 1734 there was a significant amount of coffee shops. I'm sitting in Starbucks as I write this and the coffee shop culture is something that I really love about London. I remember in my History of Journalism module at Uni, that it was the coffee shops and pubs that made Fleet Street the hub of British Journalism as newspapers were formed in the 1800s.
And so I'll be remaining in London Town for a little longer, as this wise man, Dr. Johnson, said in 1777 "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." Next time I think I am tired of living my London life, I'll come back to this and remind myself how blessed I am to live in this gorgeous, exciting, bustling city.

No comments:

Post a Comment