Tuesday 26 October 2010

Recipe: On-the-go Breakfast Bars

Want to keep hunger locked up 'til lunch but don't have time to rustle up the most important meal of the day? Believe me, I know exactly where you're coming from! I leave the house at 7am and embark on a two hour commute so a healthy breakfast is always something of a quandry! This recipe, though, has made it onto my must-do things for Sunday afternoons, so that I have a batch ready to last me for the week. I first found it on BBC Good Food, but have adapted it to include all the yummy things I like!

Makes about 14 pieces
Ingredients
50g butter
2 x small ripe bananas
3tbsp golden syrup
85g demerera sugar
140g porridge oats
Half tsp ground cinamon
50g dessicated coconut
2tbsp linseeds, slightly crushed
1tbsp sesame seeds
100g chopped hazelnuts

1. Melt the butter, syrup and sugar in a pan.
2. Add the bananas, mashed.
3. Add everything else, stirring in well.
4. Place the mixture in a greased tin and spread out into the corners.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 160C / gas mark 3.

Of course, this is something that you could throw just about anything into. I'm keen to experiment with some dried fruit at some point so I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment