Monday 16 January 2012

Word of the year

So, I'm finally recovered from the last two months and it has been manic! We've moved house, I started my new job and then there was Christmas and New Year and a few weeks where I didn't quite know where my head was at! But I've started to settle into a rhythm of life now and so here is my first post of 2012 (if a little late!).

Layla is having a link party about our Words of the Year for 2012 and I thought what better way to kick off my blog! It's not so much a list of resolutions, but more of an ethos, or a concept that will frame everything you do in 2012. So, my word of the year is:


2011 was a bit of a rollercoaster and for the most part we just got swept along with it. We didn't feel like we had a lot of control or purpose and were just getting through each day. So 2012 promises to be a better year! And so my word is Intentional. Everything I do will be framed by intention and purpose - who knows what can be achieved!

I will be intentional...
... in my FINANCES. Not frivolous. I won't buy things that I know will undermine our long term goals.
... in my RELATIONSHIPS. I will make those calls, write those letters, not because I should or have to, but because I want to. I want to build meaningful relationships with the people I care about.
... in my MARRIAGE. I will invest time, energy and money in building a strong marriage. Date nights and mini breaks are not to be underestimated!
... in my WORK. I've started my new job well. I want to make sure I build it into something that I enjoy. I don't want to get bored or bogged down with it.
... in my HOBBIES. Whether it be crafting, writing or blogging. I want to invest time in these things and turn them into skills and achievements that I can be proud of.
... in my CAREER. Whether it be my Etsy shop to gain some pocket money or the beginnings of a proper freelance career, I want to gain skills and influence that will ultimately help me towards a stay-at-home career.

But ultimately, I want to be intentional in my SPIRITUAL LIFE. In my walk with God. I'm inspired by the verse:
"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need." ~ Matthew 6:33 (NLT)
I've started the year off with a fast (I'm loosely basing mine around this book). Not fasting everyhting, but just sacrificing those every day luxuries that I rely so heavily on (we're talking Starbucks and Diet Coke!). Not only is this forcing me to develop discipline in my life, but it's also making me focus on God a lot more and this past week has been brilliant. I haven't been worrying about the things that would normally freak me out, but I'm remembering to first take them to God and leave them with him. He can handle them!

I'm linking up to Layla's Link Party. Check out what other people's words are here!

The Lettered Cottage

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! And what a perfect thing to strive for in 2012 (as you know I am, too). May this year be the year we live on purpose. No excuses. Just intent.
    To God be the glory!
    Blessings,
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following you from Layla's party-glad to meet you-stop over for a visit!

    ReplyDelete